Monday, March 19, 2012

Piano Competition

Last weekend, I had a piano recital to prepare for my piano competition. The recital was at my home because we have a baby grand piano. My little sister Hannah also played at the recital, and it was her first performance  She is  five years old and played 3 pieces, Dance of the Swans from Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky, Sick Dolls by Tchaikovsky, and Clowns by Kabalevsky . After her, I played Sonata in D major Hob. 16 No 37 by Hadyn. Last, but not least, Miriam also played a Sonata by Haydn in C major.  The two sonatas were very different. My Aunt, Uncle, grandma, and grandpa all came to the recital. After the recital, my dad made dinner for everyone. 

The real competition was a week later at a piano store. Before we performed, we got to pick a piano and practice on it at the store. Some of the pianos that we used for warm up were connected to head phones so we wouldn't distract the other competitors while they performed in front of the judges. There were 2 judges listening  to us perform. My teacher said that I performed very well and didn't make many mistakes. The piano we used to perform was a Bosendorfer grand piano. Is is one the most prestigious piano in the world and it is hand-built in Vienna, Austria. It sounded beautiful. 

It is 6 pages long!
The sonata that I played was written by Haydn in 1780 for the Auenbrugger sisters. They were Viennese patrons that Haydn met while working as court musician for Prince Esterhazy. The sisters where accomplished piano players in Europe. Hadyn therefore composed this sonata to be challenging for even talented performers.





Since they didn't allow anyone in the room while we played for the judges, my mom recorded me playing a week earlier at the recital.




Do you like Haydn's music?

9 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah,
    We liked your playing very much!
    Again and again we thank God for such
    a talanted

    granddauther. Piano,violin and
    gymnasticks including the most important
    thing your school education is not easy
    for an 8 years old girl. You succeed in
    everything. We wish you always to be
    healthy and have strengths to work so
    hard as you do.
    It*s a pity that we didn*t hear Hanah
    to play. May be next recital she will
    appear.
    Love all of you
    Grands Mila and Isay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Grandma and Grandpa,

      Thank you so much for leaving me a lovely comment! I hope you will come to our house and really see me play. Hannah will probably do a guest post on her piano playing. I hope you will continue to leave me some lovely comments!

      Love,
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Dear Sarah,

    Wow you really an awesome piano player. I really liked listening to you on this post while you were playing the piano.
    Do you have a favourtie piece of music you enjoy playing?

    I no longer am playing the piano as I am having a bit of a break but I do still like to listen to people playing the piano.

    How do you find the time to do all these wonderful things?

    From your friend,
    BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bianca,

      Thank you so much for leaving me such a lovely comment! I don't have a fovorite/favourite piece that I play because all of them are very beautiful.


      For your second question I have a big schedule. Like on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Friday I have gymnastics. The rest of the days I have time to practice my violin and piano.

      Why did you stop playing the piano?

      Sincerely,
      Sarah

      Delete
  3. Dear Sarah,

    Once again bravo I always have a say on my face when I hear you play the piano.
    As a matter of fact I could listen to you play the piano all day long. When Bianca did play the piano I would just love it listen to her play.

    How often do you do you practise?

    I am so amazed at all the things that you are doing.
    You are one very talented girl Sarah as I don't think I could do all the things which you do.

    Once again thank you for your wonderful post and keep playing.

    From your pal,
    AA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♬ ♫ ♬Sarah♬ ♫ ♬March 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM

      @AA,

      Thank you so much for leaving me such a lovely comment! I really appreciate all of the wonderful comments you write on my blog.

      I practice a lot. On Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays I play for two to three hours. The rest of the days I play 20 to 30 minutes, because I have gymnastics. I hope you will visit my blog again.



      Sincerely,
      Sarah

      Delete
  4. ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫

    Dear Sarah,

    I thoroughly enjoyed your performance! Brava!

    All the music and facts that bloggers have been sharing have been exciting! Not only do we get to learn, but we get to hear the music played by friends. Love it!

    I know that you, your sisters, and your mother all play the piano. Is the piano being played all the time? Does your brother play as well?

    Your proud teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

    I really enjoyed reading your lovely comment. Most of my family plays the piano, but my brother only plays a little. I don't think he really likes to play. He said he wants to play the guitar, and promised to practice.

    There is always someone playing at my house. Since there are two pianos, it gets really noisy. Usually, my sister Hannah and Miriam play first while I practice the violin. Then when Hannah finishes, I play piano with Miriam. We never leave my mom any time to practice. I hope you will visit my blog again and leave me many more wonderful comments!

    Sincerely,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sarah,

    That music is amazing! I could never play that good.

    I do play piano though. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Mary Had a Little Lamb, and Hot Cross Buns were my first three songs. Then I could play Take Me Out to the Ball Game, My Country Tis of Thee, and Puff the Magic Dragon. Right now, I can play The Theme Song To Star Wars, Yellow Submarine, and Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirate's Life For Me.

    There are also two classical songs that I play. I play Morning Mood and Ode To Joy.

    My sister, Tabby, took piano lessons, but then she quit because she said that she was too young. The only three songs that she played were Hot Cross Buns, Mary Had a Little Lamb, and Love Somebody.

    What were some of your first songs?

    Sincerely,
    ♕♕♕♕♕♕R♔yce♕♕♕♕♕♕

    ReplyDelete

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Please proofread your comment for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, simply choose "Anonymous".)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★