Saturday, April 21, 2012

Bryce Canyon


After Zion National Park, we drove to Bryce Canyon which is also located in Utah. We started driving in the afternoon and arrived in the evening, so we could we could hike early the next day.  We stayed the night in an RV park at the bottom of Bryce Canyon Nation Park. The RV park had an indoor pool. When we came, we quickly changed and got ready to go swimming.  The pool was very warm and we swam a little bit before it closed at 10:00pm. 





Near the entrance of the park
The next morning we drove to the entrance of Bryce Canyon National Park. When we exited the RV, we realized right away that it was very cold. We had to wear warm clothes like pants, hats, and a big jacket. The sun was out, and there were no clouds, but it was pretty windy.  When we approached the Canyon, the view was amazing.  Bryce Canyon looked like huge red sand castles.  These rock formations are called Hoodoos.  Hoodoo means to cast a spell. The mountains were formed 10 million years ago and then ancient rivers formed the Hoodoos through erosion.   

Hoodoos
Bryce Canyon was very different from the other 2 parks that we were previously. The Grand Canyon was much bigger than Bryce Canyon. For example, in Grand Canyon, we only hiked to a ridge, but in Bryce Canyon, we hiked all the way down. However, in both parks, you are standing on to and looking down the canyon. Zion National Park, we were standing at the bottom of the canyon looking up. Zion was also very green and had a river running through it.

Storm clouds are starting to appear
 At Bryce National park, we started our hike at Sunset point and did a Queens/Navajo combination loop which was about 3 and a half miles. This trail takes you all the way down to the bottom of the canyon and then you walk on the canyon floor and return up a different way.  On the way down, we were hiking we saw numerous trees that were growing sideways off of the canyon walls. There were also many holes that we could climb right into, and hide into. There was one section with three holes that we all climbed into.  When we reached the bottom of the canyon, we stopped for lunch. On the bottom of the canyon, there was a mini forest.  On the bottom we noticed that hikers had stacked small rocks on each other, to make them look like hoodoos. There were even some on the trees. Some of the stacks were larger than others. While we were walking and taking photos, we didn’t notice as the dark clouds were coming in. One of the hikers warned us that it is supposed to rain, hail, or snow.  Once we heard that, we started hurrying up. We didn’t want to get caught in the storm because we didn’t have the right clothes. Right when we got to our RV it started snowing. We were so happy that we made it!  
Bottom of the Canyon






After our hike, we decided to drive to see some of the points inside the car. One of our stops had a flat part that looked like an alligator. Can you see it on the photo below? Since it was going to snow, we decided to move on to our next stop, Death Valley.






Have you ever gotten caught in the rain or snow?

13 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah !
    Your post is very interesting. The description
    of the nature is amazing. The pictures are beautiful. Love grandpa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Grandpa and Grandma,

      Thank you so much for leaving me such a lovely comment! After I publish Death Valley, I am going to do a voting chart. You would have to pick which post you like the best and vote for it. I would love it if you vote!

      I hope you will visit my blog again and leave me some more lovely comments!

      Sincerely your granddaughter,
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Sarah,
    This sounds like a wonderful adventure for you. How far did you have to go to get to Arizona and Utah? I was there about 16 years ago and your descriptions bring back memories of what it was like to see these different canyons.

    We traveled all the way from the east coast in North Carolina down through Alabama, Texas, into Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Colorado, Montana, and then back through to Chicago and into Kentucky, and into Virginia over a three week span.

    You sound like a travel guide.
    Mrs. Todd--- Roadrunners at http://brendatodd.edublogs.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mrs. Todd,

      Thank you so much for leaving me such a lovely comment! It took about 8 hours to get from Arizona to Utah. The RV drives a lot slower than a regular car. While we were in the R.V, we were either reading, studying for our music exams,or playing one of the games that we brought. Which canyon did you like best?

      It looks like you went to many different states before you got to Arizona. We only had 1 week to do our travels.

      Sincerely,
      Sarah

      Delete
  3. Dear Sarah,

    This is another amazing post you have put up. I really have enjoyed reading all about your wonderful holiday with your family.
    I really want to jump on a plane and visit these amazing places just like you and your family have. Hopefully one day BB and I and her dad will do just that. However I know BB and her dad really want to visit Death Valley first. Do hope you do a post about your visit to Death Valley.

    Thank you for taking me on your holiday with your wonderful posts that you have published on your blog.

    I just loved the question which you asked and I have to admit many times I have got caught in the rain however never in the snow. Now that would be fun!

    Take care,
    AA :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear AA,

      Thank you so much for leaving me such a lovely comment! I'm going to do a post on Death Valley soon. I hope you and BB will see it. In Death Valley my favorite part was climbing the sand dunes and sliding down on our behinds.

      Where did you get caught in the rain?

      Sincerely,
      Sarah

      Delete
    2. @ Sarah,

      Thank you for writing back to me. I just read your wonderful post on Death Valley and hope to write a comment on it soon.

      I often would get caught in the rain when I walk BB to school. Mind you when BB and I leave home to walk to school we both never really think of taking an umbrella. Also I do remember often when I was at school I would always get caught in the rain then too. Somehow then rain and I have become rather good friends. :)
      Take care,
      AA

      Delete
  4. Dear Sarah,

    What a wonderful road trip you went on with your family. It is so amazing that these beautiful spots are only a day's ride away from Los Angeles.

    I am looking forward to your next post on Death Valley.

    Sincerely,

    Tara (Royce's mom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tara,

      Thank you so much for leaving me such a lovely comment. It was nice hearing from you. It was really amazing to be in Bryce National Park.

      Have you ever been there when you were little?

      Sincerely,
      Sarah

      Delete
  5. Dear Sarah,

    Reading your post and looking at your pictures was fun for me because I was in Bryce Canyon myself in 2008.

    I was there during the summer months, and it was very hot! We did a little camping, and even stayed in a tipi in one of the Bryce campground. It was fun and very spacious inside!

    Here is a picture of me walking the trail. Don't you just love those hoodoos! I did!

    Was it crowded while you were there? It was very busy when I was there in the summer.

    Your proud teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

      Thank you so much for leaving me such a lovely comment. I really enjoyed looking at the photo of you! I also thought the hoodoos looked amazing. They really remind me of the beach when we build sand castles. It looks like it was pretty warm when you went.

      I can't believe you stayed in a tipi there. What was it like? No, it wasn't crowded at all. There were only a few people hiking. I think maybe it was too cold and most people in the summertime.

      Sincerely,
      Sarah

      Delete
  6. Dear Sarah,
    I love your pictures,
    I never seen the dunes, it's looks amazing and you looks like had a lot of fun.
    Who came out with the idea to make hats from the shirts?
    I think it's wary a good idea and you all look very colorful.
    Love you,
    Grandma Tanya and Grandpa Eugene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are so beautiful. I really wish there was an option to click on them and make them larger... pretty please?

    Map of Bryce Canyon

    ReplyDelete

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Please proofread your comment for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, simply choose "Anonymous".)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★