Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon


After a long drive, we finally made it to the Grand Canyon.   First, we were very eager to get out of the car after driving for two days.  When we first started walking I was amazed by how enormous and beautiful the Grand Canyon was because we came in the afternoon. We spent the first few hours walking around the rim, and looking at the gorgeous view. We went to a couple different points around the rim to get different views. The Grand Canyon is considered one of the natural wonders of the world. It is a canyon that is 217 miles long, 18 miles wide and approximately one mile down. The canyon was formed by the Colorado River. You can see a small part of the Colorado River in the background of one of the photos. 






 











Along part of the trail, there were these ancient [very old] rocks marking the time line of the creation of the Grand Canyon.  The Grand Canyon is between 3-6 million years old, but the oldest rocks are almost 2 billion years old. The oldest rock that they had on display was 1,840 million years old.  






After walking about 3 miles, our parent’s rewarded us with ice cream at the village. Once we were done eating and resting, we took a tram to a famous point to view the sunset. This was where we saw the Whole Grand Canyon and even saw a very small part of the Colorado River. There is 277 miles of the Colorado River that runs through the Grand Canyon.  We also saw many Turkey Vultures that were in groups all looking for their next delicious meal. At around 7 P.M, we saw the sun fall behind the Grand Canyon, and soon it got dark and very cold. Then we ran back to the shuttle that took us to the R.V. We have a busy day planned for tomorrow. We were going to hike down to a ridge near the bottom of the Grand Canyon. 












What was your favorite vacation like?



9 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah,

    Wow! I really love reading your post about finally arriving at the Grand Canyon. It sure was worth the trip, I wish I was a tiny fly and could have been there too.

    The Grand Canyon looks truly a beautiful place to visit. It looks so grand in books but to be right there as you and your family are, it would truly beautiful.
    What strikes me it the different colours that you can see which makes up the Grand Canyon.

    Did you find that the colours of the Grand Canyon appear more during the day or night?

    As for my favourite holiday I would have to say it is when I go to New South Wales. It is always a fun time for BB gets to spend a lot more time with her cousin's.

    Happy Holiday to you and your family.

    From your friend,
    AA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear AA,

      Thank you so much for leaving me a lovely comment! The colors of the Grand Canyon were beautiful at night and during the day. It was really nice to watch the sun go behind the canyon at sunset.

      It must be fun for BB to spend time with her cousins. I like to spend time with my cousins too.

      Sincerely,
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Dear Sarah,

    I know what you mean when you said you couldn't believe how enormous and beautiful it was. I'd seen photos of it, but nothing compares to standing on the rim looking at it.

    Mr. Yollis and I went to that lookout point at sunset as well. We brought snacks and enjoyed a long, restful time there. Lots of people left as soon as the sun went below the horizon, but we stayed another forty-five minutes and the sunset was magnificent!

    The Grand Canyon is a gorgeous place for all to enjoy. Did you know that it became a National Park in 1919? You and your family are among the five million visitors the park receives annually. Annually is a fancy word for yearly.

    What is the air temperature there? It rain here last night!

    Your proud teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mrs. Yollis,

      Thank you so much for leaving me such a lovely comment! I also loved the beautiful sunset.

      The temperature was very warm during the day but very cold during the night. We bundled up in our sleeping bags to stay warm and cozy! We are lucky it didn't rain while were were there, otherwise we wouldn't be able to do our hikes. The one thing we forgot to take was hats from the sun. We expected it to be a lot colder during the day time and packed many sweaters and pants.

      Sincerely,
      Sarah

      Delete
  3. Dear Sarah,
    It's looks you have a wonderful time and all your family enjoy the vacation. We had the same trip with your mom when she was 14 years old. I like your pictures, looks great and it's nice that you appreciate the beauty of the canyon.
    We miss you and love you,
    Grandma Tanya and Grandpa Eugene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Grandma Tanya,

      Thank you so much for leaving me a lovely comment! My mom told me her whole trip about the time you went to the Grand Canyon. I don't think she really liked it when you were walking up. She said hail was coming down from the sky and hitting her. Then she had to stay in the shower for two hours! At least that didn't happen to us!

      Sincerely,
      Sarah

      Delete
  4. Dear Sarah !!
    Your post is so interesting. I*ve read it so many times and I am happy you are having such a good time you will never forget. You show such amazing places and rocks!
    You took such interesting pictures . Proud of you!
    Your grandma Mila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Grandma Mila,

      Thank you so much for leaving me such a lovely comment. I really enjoyed this trip and I hope we will go here again!

      Which picture was your favorite that I took? I hope you will visit my blog again and leave me some more lovely comments!

      Sincerely,
      Sarah

      Delete
  5. Dear Sarah,

    You are so lucky that you got to see that beautiful view.
    I have never ever seen a view like that one. My mom and I went to Hawaii. I think you had a more beautiful view than us because we didn't have a view of the beach, we had a view of a parking lot.

    Your friend,
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★

Steps to Comment:

1. Write your comment in the box below. Please proofread your comment for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.

2. Choose an identity. (If you have a gmail account, use it. If not, simply choose "Anonymous".)

3. Click "Publish your Comment". You may preview your comment before publishing if you'd like.

♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★ ♥ ★